- 2 lb. daikon radish, sliced 1/4-in thick into 2-in lengths
- 1/2 cup ground mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 2 tablespoons hot chili paste
- 5 tablespoons mustard oil
- Pinch of asafetida
- Salt to taste
- In a large bowl, combine daikon with one tablespoon of salt and let rest for at least four hours.
- This process accomplishes the extraction of water from daikon.
- Press daikon pieces between palms to squeeze water as much as possible.
- Reserve in a bowl.
- To this, add ground musturd, paprika, timur, chili paste, mustard oil, asafetida and salt.
- Be careful in adding excessive amount of salt as daikon had already been blanched in salt.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Put the daikon mixture in a sterilized jar; close lid and allow to rest in a warm place for at least three days for fermentation before serving.
- Refrigerate to store.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-10 22:23:37.