(Fresh Chilies with Herbs and Spices)
- 1 cup fresh hot red chilies
- 1 cup fresh hot green chilies
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Pinch of asafetida
- 3 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, toast sesame seeds, cumin and mustard seeds.
- Spread out on a paper towel to cool down.
- Grind to a powder.
- In a blender, combine chilies, ground mixture of sesame, cumin, and mustard seeds, mint leaves, garlic, timur, tamarind, sugar, lime jest and juice, asafetida, oil and salt; blend into a paste with a desired texture.
- If desired hot and sour, increase the amount of tamarind paste.
- Store in sterilized jar and refrigerate.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-07 22:22:45.