(Mixed Sprouted Beans with Lamb)
- 2 cups mixed beans (kidney beans, black-eyed beans, chickpeas, soya beans, mung beans, green beans, black beans, white beans, red beans)
- 1 lb. meat (lamb, chicken, or turkey), cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon jwanu (lovage seeds)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 4 cups broth or water as required
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped for garnish
- In a large bowl with water soak beans overnight.
- Drain the water and wash the beans.
- Cover the bowl and set it in a warm place to allow sprouting.
- It takes about 2-3 days depending on the desired length of sprouts.
- In a saucepan, heat oil; fry jwanu, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds until light brown.
- Add meat pieces and brown well.
- Add three cups of sprouted beans and fry for two minutes.
- Add chopped onion, chilies, curry powder, garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Fry until onions have turned slightly brown.
- Add tomatoes and broth to the beans’ mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat until the meat and sprouts are tender and the desired consistency of the soup has been achieved.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Serve with rice.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-04 18:26:49.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):