- Dough for wrappers:
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Water as required
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, drained and crushed
- 1 cup paneer cheese or cottage cheese, drained and crushed
- 1/2 spinach, slightly blanched in salted water and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 cup ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely minced
- 3 mild green chilies, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, seafood masala or MOMO masala
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Salt and Pepper
- For stuffing mixture, combine all filling ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well, adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow all ingredients to impart their unique flavors.
- This also improves the consistency of the filling.
- In a large bowl combine flour, oil, salt and water.
- Mix well, knead until the dough becomes homogeneous in texture, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let stand for at least 15 min.
- Knead well again before making wrappers.
- Prepare 1-in. diameter dough balls.
- It is recommended to work with a dozen or so balls at a time to prevent from drying.
- Take a dough ball, roll between your palms to spherical shape.
- Dust working board with dry flour.
- On the board gently flatten the ball with your palm.
- Then roll out into 3-in diameter wrapper.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls. Cover with bowl to prevent from drying.
- For packing hold wrapper on one palm, put one tablespoon of filling mixture and with the other hand bring all edges together to the center, while making pleats.
- Pinch and twist the pleats to ensure the absolute closure of the stuffed dumpling.
- Heat up a steamer, oil the steamer rack well.
- This is critical because it will prevent dumplings from sticking.
- Arrange uncooked MOMOs in the steamer with some space left between the dumplings.
- Close the lid, and allow steaming until the dumplings are cooked through, about 10 min.
- Take the dumplings off the steamer, and immediately serve.
- You may also slightly sauté cooked dumplings in butter before serving.
- To serve, arrange the cooked MOMOs on a plate dressed with MOMO achar of your choice.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-04 18:15:42.