(Tender Chicken Stir-Fried with Zucchini, Nepali Style)
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut into 1-in pieces (can be substituted with lamb)
- 2 cups zucchini (lauka), cut into 1-in long strips
- 2 cups red bell pepper, cut into 1-in long strips
- 2 cups tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil for browning
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large bowl, combine chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Mix well, cover, and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a non-stick pan, heat three tablespoons of cooking oil, brown chicken on all sides, and set aside.
- Drain the oil, and heat clarified butter.
- Add onions and sauté till light brown.
- Add turmeric, garlic, ginger, cumin, curry powder and chili powder.
- Stir for one minute on low heat.
- Add zucchini, red bell pepper and tomato slices to the onion mixture.
- Stir-fry till wilting occurs.
- Transfer browned chicken to vegetables.
- Add salt and pepper and stir-fry for another 5-7 minutes, until the chicken pieces are cooked tender.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti (flat bread).
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-13 12:03:00.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):