(Bitter Melon Curried in Yogurt)
- 4 cups bitter melon, sliced in 1-in. length
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 cup red pepper, sliced in 1-in length
- 5 dried red chilies
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups yogurt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- In a large pot of well-salted boiling water blanch bitter melon slices for a few minutes and transfer to ice bath.
- Blanching in heavily salted water reduces the bitterness of bitter melon.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil and fry mustard seeds and red chilies until dark.
- Add onion and green pepper; fry until light brown.
- Add turmeric, curry powder, chilies, garlic and ginger; mix for a minute or so.
- Add the blanched bitter melon and stir fry for five minutes.
- To the bitter melon mixture, add yogurt and salt; mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for ten more minutes.
- Once a desired consistency of stew has been achieved, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with steamed rice.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2010-07-14 15:07:22.