(Paneer Cheese Cubes Curried with Mixed Vegetables)
- 1 lb. paneer cheese, diced (tofu can be used)
- 2 cups mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, cleaned and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 5 dry whole red chilies
- 1/2 cup whole cream
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 tablespoons oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- In a non-stick sauté pan, heat two tablespoons of oil.
- Brown cheese cubes on all sides and reserve in a plate.
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch vegetables, including cauliflower, mushroom and red bell pepper for a brief time.
- Remove immediately and place in ice bath.
- In the same sauté pan, add remaining three tablespoons oil.
- Add turmeric and dry red chilies and fry until the chilies turn dark, releasing an earthy flavor.
- Add chopped onions and stir constantly until lightly browned.
- Add garlic, ginger and curry powder and fry for a minute or so.
- Transfer the browned cheese cubes and vegetables and stir-fry for five minutes over low heat.
- Add tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper; mix well.
- Allow cooking for another five to eight, adding a bit of water if necessary.
- At last, add spinach to the cheese-vegetable mixture and gently fold in to wilt it down.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2010-07-13 16:21:58.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):
- » Vegetarian Food - Eggplant Bhutuwa (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Asparagus Bhutuwa (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food – Mustard Greens Bhutuwa (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Chickpea Tarkari (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Cheese-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Nepali Food Recipe)