(Mustard Greens in Nepali Spices and Herbs)
- 1 lb. mustard greens, washed, peeled, cut into small pieces (spinach also can be added)
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon jwanu seeds (lovage seeds, optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Salt to taste
- In a non-stick pan heat three tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Splitter jwanu seeds, whole timur mustard seeds, and cumin seeds until they turn dark.
- Fry dried red chilies for 15 sec. till it turns dark.
- Add garlic, ginger, ground pepper, and turmeric; fry for a minute or so on low heat.
- Add mustard greens to the spice-mixture, and stir-fry for about two minutes.
- Salt it.
- Increase the heat to high; cook the mustard greens until wilted and the excess liquid has evaporated off. Do not overcook the greens.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chopped dill weed.
- Serve with rice.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2010-07-13 16:15:00.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):
- » Vegetarian Food - Beans and Bamboo Shoots Tarkari (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Masaura and Potato Tarkari (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Chickpea Tarkari (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food – Pumpkin Vine Tips Tarkari (Nepali Food Recipe)
- » Vegetarian Food - Eggplant Bhutuwa (Nepali Food Recipe)