(Lamb and Barley Soup, Sherpa Style)
- 1 cup barley
- 1 lb lamb, cut into 1/4-in. thick slices (half inch long)
- 4 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 lb. spinach, washed and torn into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 cups lamb broth or water as required
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat butter.
- Add onions and saute till lightly browned.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and add to the onion mixture; brown well.
- Add mushroom to the lamb mixture and saute for five minutes or so over low heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and turmeric; stir for a minute or so.
- Add tomatoes, soy sauce, and broth.
- Increase the heat; bring to a boil and add barley; stir well.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about an hour until the barley grains and lamb are tender and a desired consistency of the soup has been achieved.
- At last, add spinach to the soup and wilt it for one minute. Serve hot.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-11-28 20:26:16.