(Duck Curried in Nepali Herbs and Spices)
- 3 lbs. duck, cut into large pieces
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 dried red chilies
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups tomato, chopped
- 1 cup stock or water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon crushed timur (Szechwan pepper)
- 4 tablespoons oil for browning
- 4 tablespoons oil for cooking
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
- In large bowl, combine duck pieces with salt and pepper; toss well.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil and brown all pieces of duck until most fat is rendered and the skin is crispy.
- Reserve browned pieces of duck on a large plate.
- Discard excess fat.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil.
- To the hot oil, add whole red chilies and bay leaves; fry for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric, timur, and chopped onion, and fry until brown.
- Put garlic and ginger into the onion mixture; fry for 30 sec.
- To this mixture, add curry powder and tomato; mix well for a few minutes.
- Transfer browned duck pieces into the spice mixture; stir.
- Add stock, salt and pepper; lower heat to low and let simmer until duck pieces are tender, and the sauce has thickened up to a desired consistency, about 35-45 min.
- When cooked, turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Serve hot with rice, and or roti (flat bread).
Originally posted 2010-01-13 17:49:49.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):