(Classic Tender Chicken Curried in Tomato and Himalayan Herbs)
- 2 lbs. chicken, black and white, skinned, boned, and cut into 1.5-in. cubes
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamom, bruised
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
- In a large bowl, season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil and brown chicken.
- Reserve brown chicken in a plate.
- Drain excess oil.
- In a non-stick sauce pan, heat oil.
- To the hot oil, add whole red chilies and bay leaf; fry for 30 sec.
- Add turmeric and chopped onion, and fry until brown.
- Put garlic and ginger into the onion mixture; fry for 30 sec.
- To this mixture, add cumin powder, curry powder, chili powder, bruised cardamom, salt and pepper; mix well for a minute or so.
- Transfer browned chicken pieces and chopped tomatoes into the spice mixture; stir well.
- Add broth to the chicken mixture; set heat to low and let simmer until chicken pieces are tender, and the sauce has thickened up to a desired consistency, about 35-45 min.
- When cooked, turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Serve hot with rice and roti (flat bread).
Originally posted 2009-12-21 16:15:29.