(Nepali Lamb Stir-Fried in Himalayan Spices)
- 2 lb. boneless lamb, cut into 1-in slices (pork can also be used)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 5 garlic gloves, halved
- 1 in. ginger, julienned
- 5 fresh red chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 cup green onions, cut in 1 in. length
- 1 cup green peas
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup broth or water
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large bowl, combine two tablespoons of oil, one tablespoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, salt and pepper into a paste.
- Add lamb pieces and mix thoroughly to coat; cover, and let marinate for 30 minutes.
- After marinating, drain the marinade and pat-dry lamb pieces.
- In a processor, blend chopped onion, garlic, ginger, fresh red chilies, cumin and curry powder, asafetida, and turmeric into a smooth paste.
- In a non-stick pan heat two tablespoons of oil.
- Add dried red chilies and fry till dark. Add spice paste; fry for another few minutes until the oil starts to separate from the spices.
- Transfer marinated lamb to the pan, add salt and pepper and stir well to brown on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue to stir fry lamb until cooked tender.
- It may require some broth or water to moisten, if it starts to burn. Add green peas and green onions; stir for another two minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Drain excess oil, if necessary.
- Serve with stir-fried vegetables and rice or roti (flat bread).
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2010-01-21 17:13:58.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):