(Ground Lamb Stir-Fried in Herbs and Spices)
- 2 lb. ground lamb (chicken or pork can also be used)
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 5 garlic gloves, halved
- 1 in. ginger, julienned
- 5 dried red chilies
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil for stir-frying
- 1 cup broth or water
- Salt and Pepper
- In a non-stick pan, heat four tablespoons of oil.
- Add dried cumin seeds and red chilies and fry till dark.
- Add turmeric, garlic, ginger, cumin and curry powder; fry for another 30 sec.
- Add chopped onions and stir fry until light brown. Put chopped tomatoes and cook for about five minutes.
- Add ground lamb to the pan, stir to break up into lumps.
- Salt and pepper the meat.
- Set heat to medium and continue to stir fry lamb until cooked.
- It may require some broth or water to moisten, if it starts to burn.
- Add green peas; stir for another two minutes.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Drain excess oil, if necessary.
- Serve with stir-fried vegetables and rice, or roti (flat bread).
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2010-01-22 17:13:16.
Related Cooking Recipes (Nepali Food):