(Cabbage Rolls Stuffed with Spicy Lamb, Nepali Style)
- 2 lbs. minced lean lamb (pork can also be used)
- 1/2 cup onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 3 teaspoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 3 fresh red chilies, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup paneer cheese, roughly grated
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large head fresh cabbage
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 in. ginger
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 cup rich lamb broth water
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon jwanu (optional)
- 2 tablespoons green onions for garnish.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except cabbage.
- Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for I hour.
- In the mean time, core the head of cabbage, boil in salted water till soft.
- Separate into leaves, and keep in ice-cold water.
- Remove the thick veins if necessary.
- Spread a cabbage leaf on cutting board, place two tablespoons of filling, fold sides, and roll up.
- Hold the loose end of the leaf with small bamboo sticks.
- Repeat with other leaves.
- Rub butter generously on the stuffed rolls and stack in a steamer.
- Steam till the stuffing is cooked through, about 8-10 min.
- Transfer the steamed rolls to a large plate.
- For sauce, in a non-stick sauce pan heat two tablespoons of clarified butter, splitter mustard seeds.
- Add onions and sauté till brown.
- Add garlic, ginger and chili powder, and fry for a minute over low heat.
- Add tomatoes, broth, jwanu and salt and pepper.
- Simmer the tomato mixture until the sauce thickens, about 15 min.
- Transfer the stuffed cabbage rolls to the sauce and heat through, frequently turning, about 10 min.
- Garnish with chopped green onions.
- Serve with roti (flat bread) and tomato achar.
Author: Tulsi Regmi
Originally posted 2009-12-20 17:29:36.